URI / URL edited at address bar by IE5.5

From: Jason Robinson <JRobinson@KitchenPages.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 05:32:28 +1000
To: <uri@w3.org>

Hello w3c uri/url list members.

I am wondering why "http:.." seems to be converted into "http://"
automaticly by IE5.5 ?

I was playing around with IE5.5 and noticed that I can enter the following
which was quickly re-edited by IE5.5 and then resolved:-  http:..www.w3.org
and then upon pressing the enter key IE5.5 quickly edited the address to
http://www.w3.org which is correct.

I have had a short look around in an attempt to locate if this is a standard
or if it was a fix of some kind that is written into IE5.5 for some reason
with little luck.

I am going to presume that its a fix written into IE5.5 for http: strings
because it works with just the "http:.." bit which converts to "http:///".
(I presume it would resolve if I was running a http server on my local
machine but I wonder about the third '/').  The other reason I thought of
was because of the way '.' and '..' are used but its just not making much
sence considering the "http:" bit by its self is automaticly converted to
"http://", also having 3 or 4 dots seems to get different affects compaired
to two dots.

I have not attempted this with other browsers yet (netscape com 4.5 just
shows an error).

If someone knows why this is; could you please post a reply - or the link to
the http standard where this is described?  Many thanks in advance for time
and efforts.

Regards,
Jason Robinson

:)