Re: hosts: case-insensitive? (important)

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:56:06 -0700
Cc: uri@w3.org, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>

On Tuesday, April 20, 2004, at 11:17  PM, Martin Duerst wrote:
> I do not think that host should be case-insensitive in
> the generic syntax, because this would unduely restrict
> the use of URIs with potential future systems.

What systems would that be?  I don't know of any system for which
host is case-sensitive, and I do know that making it explicitly
case-insensitive within the generic syntax allows systems the
ability to reduce the number of arbitrary aliases due to legacy
name resolvers and sloppy rewrites.

> I know that others have made the same comment in private,
> so I really wonder why it hasn't been addressed.

Because the comment did not reflect existing practice.

....Roy