Re: namespace names [was: Concern with URI normalization text; proposed change]

On Apr 6, 2004, at 4:16 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> No, they aren't names for the same XML namespace
>> even if they point to the same resource in all cases.
>
> Then they aren't URIs.  They are strings of no significance whatsoever
> and this discussion does not apply.

Somehow, I fail to feel much distress that XML namespace-processing
software is specified as stopping at the bottom rung of the
URI-comparison ladder, thus leaving the door open for lots of false
negatives.  While Paul is correct that http://www.w3.org/ and
http://www.W3.org/ will not compare equal, and Roy is correct that per
RFC2396bis they are for all practical purposes equivalent, well so
what?  The only sane way to understand the Namespaces rec is as an
injunction not to foolishly use non-significant spelling variations in
bandying about namespace names, because you can't count on any help
from the software. -Tim