Re: http, the whole http, nothing but http

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:40:42 +0100
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, uri@w3.org

At 21:22 02/10/03 -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:
>Roy Fielding wrote:
> > any URI, no matter how abstract its referent or how obscure the
> > scheme, can be placed in the context of a dereferencing system
> > that supplies representations of whatever is supposedly identified
> > by that URI.
>
>I think this is too limiting a model; you have to squint too hard
>to see what happens with POST or "mailto:" or "telnet:"
>as "supplying a representation".

I find I agree with Roy on this.

I read what he said as noting that it is *possible* to treat any identifier
as dereferencable, not that to do so would always be desirable.  As such, I
regard his comment not as describing a model but explaining a possibility,
which in turn suggests (to me) that a model that depends on hard-and-fast
distinctions between identifiers and locators doesn't always stand up.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org