Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:20:23 -0400
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: uri-request@w3.org, uri@w3.org

Patrick Stickler scripsit:

> >> You are aware, of course, that "Shakespeare" is a bunny? :-)
>
> I challenge you to prove to me that that is true, based
> solely on that stream of bits.

Nobody can prove anything based solely on a stream of bits.  For all
you know, you are (and have been since the beginning of your net.life)
the victim of a man-in-the-middle attack by evil beings from Beta Hydri.

> What trust can I place in the mnemmonic characteristics
> of the URI? Perhaps the URI actually denotes a picture
> of rabbit named "Fred" taken by a local plumber named
> Shakespeare. Perhaps "Shakespeare" means "this is
> what's for dinner" in some bizarre language, which
> is what is really the linguistic basis for the URI.

Any of that could be true.  A little investigation of context shows
that "Shakespeare" is the name of the rabbit.

--
"How they ever reached any conclusion at all    jcowan@reutershealth.com>
is starkly unknowable to the human mind."       http://www.reutershealth.com