Re: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need forurn: URIs

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:59:52 -0400
To: Michael Mealling <michael@neonym.net>
cc: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, tbray@textuality.com, hardie@qualcomm.com, uri@w3.org

> An
> SW-resource is a first order object that can make statements about
> itself such as its uniqueness, how its compared to others, etc.

I'm not sure where you get this idea, but I can't let it pass
unchallenged.

In the Last Call Working Draft of _RDF Semantics_ (the current spec)
[1], "resource" is defined as "An entity; anything in the universe."
(In this kind of formal logic text, "universe" means "universe of
discourse", not just the real world you and I live in.  Unicorns are
certainly resources by this definition.)

This is, as far as I can tell, exactly the same entended meaning for
"resource" as in RFC 2396 and RFC 2396bis.  And that's what the RDF Core
WG intended, as far as I know.

     -- sandro

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-mt-20030123/