RE: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

But this says nothing whatsoever about equivalence
of denotation, only about lexical equivalence of the
URIs themselves.

While it is true that applications operating in terms
of RFC 2396 alone might presume that two lexically
distinct URIs denote different resources (entities),
that does *not* mean that any two URIs *can't* or
*don't* denote the same resource.

The purpose of the Semantic Web, and tools such as
OWL, is precisely to provide a standardized means of
providing such information to such applications.

Surely RFC 2396 is not intended to prohibit the
co-denotation of URIs?

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler