Re: draft-hoffkohn-rfc1738bis-00.txt (news, snews, nntp)

An old [but newer than 1738] draft revision of the definition of the 'news'
scheme that inter_alia incorporated domain-name-addressing of a server as
in the 'nntp' scheme is
available from:

   <http://web.archive.org/web/19991023012146/http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/uri/news/draft-gilman-news-url-02.txt>

At least some implementations supported this fusion.

Kent Landfield may have been the person who was working within an IETF group
updating the NNTP specification, and expressed interest in this draft.  That
group may have worked further on the question of URI scheme(s) to interface
to news groups and articles and NNTP servers.  If Paul or Larry can recover
who led the revision of NNTP it would be good to check back to see if they
did any work in this area.

One typo:

In the current draft there is a header

<quote
cite="http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffkohn-rfc1738bis-00.txt">

2.2.2. FTP Typecode is Optional

</quote>

It would appear this section is meant to be numbered 2.2.3, as the section
before is 2.2.2
and the one after is 2.2.4.

Al