Re: secure URIs

At 12:59 AM 4/30/2003 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>There are merits to the idea that security metadata should not be part
>of URIs.  Here is one idea that implement the fundamental idea (which
>I still believe is useful) without modifying URIs, like the above
>approach does.
>
>The syntax would be:
>
>meta:<METADATA>:<URI>
>
>So to embed that a HTTP resource should have a certain SHA-1 hash (for
>integrity, or even authentication, purposes) would be (this happens to
>be a working example):
>
>meta:sha1=oHn3H7i+rYwEnZulnHb09KO/6Ro=:http://josefsson.org/key.txt
>
>Thoughts?

I like that too.  I'd put the <URI> first, for readability.  Then it
doesn't look too different from my suggestion.

One difference is I was using brackets to separate the URI from crypto
data.  Since brackets aren't "uric" characters, that's probably a bad
idea.  So if I change my initial approach to use a colon, like yours does,
and change yours to put the URI first, we can see the remaining difference:

http-://josefsson.org/key.txt:sha1=oHn3H7i+rYwEnZulnHb09KO/6Ro=
meta:http://josefsson.org/key.txt:sha1=oHn3H7i+rYwEnZulnHb09KO/6Ro=

I'm denoting a secure scheme by appending "-" to the base scheme, you're
denoting a secure scheme (or metadata-enhanced scheme) by "meta", with the
base scheme in the scheme-specific part.  I'm not sure which way is better.

Trevor