Re: Resources and URIs

At 17:54 28/04/2003 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/ rfc2396bis.html#rfc.section.1.1
>
>If anyone has comments on that text, please be specific.  Otherwise,
>this issue is closed.

[[
Resource

     A resource is a source of supply or support within the context of a
given system. In general, a resource could be anything. In practice,
however, the nature of a system's resources is defined by actions that
might be applied to them in the future. For example, if a system is
performing an information retrieval action, then things that can provide
information to that system are considered resources. This specification
does not place any limits on the nature of a resource or the nature of
systems that might use resources. Familiar examples of a resource include
an electronic document, an image, a service (e.g., "today's weather report
for Los Angeles"), and a collection of other resources. Not all resources
are network "retrievable"; e.g., human beings, corporations, and bound
books in a library can also be considered resources.
]]

As a whole, this works pretty well for me.  The first sentence doesn't
actually convey any useful information for me, and I wonder if it is trying
to say anything that isn't covered more clearly by what follows.

So, specifically, can the first sentence be dropped without losing anything?

Also, might "in the future" be dropped?  I'm not sure what that adds.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>