Re: update RFC 2396

I support the inclusion of UTF-8 default encoding. From
WebDAV implementation experience I can say that a lot of
apps and servlet containers mess up UTF-8 encoded URIs.

URIs should define the default encoding. Leaving this
up to the imagination of individuals is not working.
Ideally they would also define the heuristics for
detecting/fallback to other encodings.

IRIs are needed, and not for just "UI" issues. It is
very common to have a mapping of file/resource names
to/from URIs (at least in WebDAV) and IRIs address
this very well.

//Stefan