Re: URIs for SMS and postal addresses

On 2002-01-14 18:56, "ext Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org> wrote:

>> GSM Short Messaging Service
>> I've found a draft proposal at
>> http:www1.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/draft-antti-gsm-sms-url-04.txt but
> it
>> doesn't seem to have got any further. I was also considering the
>> possibility of encoding body content in the SMS URL as used in the
> mailto
>> scheme (e.g. <sms:+44777123456?body=Some%20text.>)
>
> I would steer clear of specifying the body because it might be
> interpreted to mean that resolving that identifier should send the
> message.  Identifiers should identify, not take action.
>
> Also, in the work we do at my company, we've found the HTTP URI scheme
> quite appropriate for identifying SMS end points.  For example,
>
> http://mycarrier.example.org/subscriber/222333444/sms
>
> where HTTP POST can be used to send messages to that subscriber.
>
> MB

But your use of HTTP URLs requires one to go through the carrier's
site in order to send the message -- precluding the ability for
third party Internet-to-Wireless/SMS agencies, possibly even a
private, company or person specific server for relaying SMS messages
to/from the internet.

This is one of the shortcomings of HTTP URLs as "do-everything" URIs.
One is not able to separate the identity of the resource itself from
the agency expected to resolve that resource.

C.f. http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sw/draft-pstickler-uri-taxonomy-00.html,
in particular section 3. (note, this ID is not yet submitted to the RFC
editor, but will be very shortly...)

Cheers,

Patrick