Re: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] creating a URI class]

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2002 07:22:22 -0500
To: uri@w3.org
On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 18:06, Dan Connolly wrote:
> It seems odd, to me, to make a URI class; URIs don't have
> any state. Passing strings around seems necessary and
> sufficient.

That's what I thought originally.  For namespace URIs, there's
potentially metadata about the namespace URI (RDDL, DDDS) which I'd like
to keep readily available as part of the bundle of information
representing a node.

MOE is moving from a model with lots of copies of the same namespace URI
string to a model with very few copies of the same namespace URI
objects.  The URIs themselves are immutable, but the objects (will
eventually) cache metadata.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!