Re: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] creating a URI class]

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2002 15:21:42 -0500
To: uri@w3.org
On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 11:25, Al Gilman wrote:
> ** summary:
>
> URIs and URI-references are different classes.  Each has its application.
>
> Fragments are resource-representation-type-defined.  Comparing #fragment
> subexpressions "pointing into" resources without determining the [presumed]
> type on which hypothesis one is comparing is erroneous.
>
> URI semantics is federal.  The URI class defers lots of things such as case
> sensitivity to the several schemes.  The scheme may defer still futher.  Don't
> look for URI-wide rules as to when tokens coughed up by the URI-common syntax
> are part of case-insensitive namespaces.  The rules already tell you it 'taint
> so.

Thanks for the detailed review!  I've concluded that while I may use
this class in the future, it'll likely be wrapped by a class I create
more directly focused on the use of URIs as namespace identifiers.  I
suspect I'll have a better chance of balancing design choices that way.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!