RE: Possible Problems with an URI scheme?

Why not use XPath to traverse the children positionally?  This is very
simple syntax -- for example, the <child4> element in your paper would
be:

exa://ROOT/2.1/3.1/4.3/5.1

or in XPath:

/*[1]/*[1]/*[1]/*[3]/*[1]

or in abbreviated XPointer syntax:
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-xptr-20010911/#child-seqs)

/1/1/1/3/1

Now, if you look more closely, you will notice that your exa: syntax has
some redundant information.  Doesn't it seem interesting that the second
path segment is prefixed by 2, the third by 3, and so on?  I bet you
will find that the LN number always starts at two and increments by one.
So let's take a look at your syntax with the redundant data removed:

exa://ROOT/1/1/3/1

Hmm, this is very interesting.  One slight thing we could do for
consistency's sake could be to do something about the ROOT syntax.
Since the root element will *always* have a LN of 1 and a SN of 1, the
syntax would be (putting back in the redundant information):

exa://1.1/2.1/3.1/4.3/5.1

Now let's take out the redundant information like we did before:

exa://1/1/1/3/1

Oops!  That is the exact same syntax as XPointer.  Now let's suppose we
are worried about what would happen if someone got confused and thought
the *name* of an element was "3" instead of the position.  We could make
it absolutely clear that we are referring to position instead of name by
using the position syntax of XPath:

Regards,

Joshua Allen
Microsoft WebData XML