RE: Resolving references against base URIs

At 09:15 AM 2002-04-15 , Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>RDF Core's interpretation of same-document references within RFC 2396 is
>legitimate.
>And even if it isn't, it is a legitimate interpretation of a same-document
>reference within an RDF document!

The bad news:

In fact, "the same document" in fragment-only relative references should be taken even more locally and particularly than "the URI from which this representation was recovered."  The latter reading is inadequate, an error.  It should be read as "this representation."  So the type is known, and with it the semantics of #fragment references.  Without recourse to _even_ the URI from which it was recovered.  As Paul suggested.  For hyperlinks with goTo semantics, where the absolute URI equivalent of the reference is unnecessary, it is moot and therefore not defined.  The best available absolute reference (nearest to equivalent) would be base-ified using the URI from which this representation was recovered, but that question has no need and no standing in the case of following hyperlinks in browsing the same "recovered representation."  There is no general answer, absent a universal document type (see next).

The good news:

The semantics of #fragment in "the current document" is governed by the _type_ of the recovered represetation of the URI accessed.  So for RDF to apply the semantic constraint that a #fragment reference is equivalent to a given absolute URI -- within a representation which belongs to a type which by its type definition is bound to the constraints of the RDF model -- is entirely within the purview of the specification of the RDF model and the languages in which it is represented.

This violates the universality goal that any URI-reference can be used in any place a URI-reference can be used, but that is a different matter.  This is also violated by having some references take anyURI and others limited to IDREF in the same document.  The RDF restriction to absolute-URI-reference senses for fragment-URI-reference signs does not violate RFC-2396, at least.  This is just that the RDF model only admits of 'absolute' references.  So references in any syntax binding of the RDF model will only contain 'absolute' URI-references.

That should give you what you need.

Just don't try to assume this for search URLs in the http: scheme unless the search service replies with a representation in an RDF model-conforming document type.

Al