Re: Mailto misnamed not misdesigned (Was: Hyperlinks depend on GET (was: Re: REST and the Web))

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> A reasonable interpretation may be that mailto's dereference function is
> the composition of a message;

Well I guess that's the heart of the debate. I don't think that URIs
define their "dereference function" any more than street addresses or
GPS locations do. They are inert. The context (XSLT, XSchema, PDF, HTML,
...) defines what to do with them. I would say that at best a URI scheme
can define a set of methods available to the application. I think that
wherever possible this set should include "GET" so that the resources
addressed by the scheme can support introspection.

 Paul Prescod