RE: new 'duri'/'tdb' draft sent to internet-drafts editor

Hi Larry,

I'd noticed in an earlier draft that the date syntax assigned a fixed four
digits to the year field, so there's a bit of an issue year dates >9999.
Clearly this won't bother us for a while and some would likely regard it as
optimistic or even arrogant to expect this scheme to be in use some 8000
years from now. Anyway, all I was going to suggest was a separator between
the year and the rest of the date, so that just as a date/time can be
expressed to arbitrary precision the year may also grow arbitarily large eg:

  date = year ['-' month [ day [ hour [ minute [ second [ fraction ]]]]]]

   year     = *digit
   month    = 2digit
   day      = 2digit
   hour     = 2digit
   minute   = 2digit
   second   = 2digit
   fraction = *digit

I guess its a fix that those living around 9997 can worry about, and you
never know it may give rise to another short lived panic - folks will likely
have forgotten all the fun leading up to the year 2000 by then.

Best regards

Stuart