Re: Using fragment identifiers with URNs

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:44:12 -0400
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@eBuilt.com>, Stephen Cranefield <SCranefield@infoscience.otago.ac.nz>
Cc: "'uri@w3.org'" <uri@w3.org>
At 06:13 PM 2001-09-27 , Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>To correct an earlier statement, both the mailto and telnet schemes, when
>used in Web browsers, are operated upon using GET semantics -- the resulting
>retrieval is a form for composing a mail message or an application with an
>open session.

You may wish to look on it that way.  But that is an implementation detail in
the coding of the User Agent.  The intrinsic transaction that goes with the
mailto: URI is the PUT to the mailbox.  The rest is at the election of the
implementer.

Get Me My Mailtool is inserted in the transaction stream by the User Agent
shell you call the browser.  It is not implied by the URI itself.  The URI is
not 'retrieved' until the composition session is done and the message is in
the
hands of a competent MTA.

Al