Re: Using fragment identifiers with URNs

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 02:04:36PM +1200, Stephen Cranefield wrote:
> Roy Fielding wrote:
> > The notion of retrieval is not in any way specific to the URI
> > scheme -- there is a paragraph in RFC 2396 that says exactly
> > that, regardless of whether it is a locator or a name.
>
> Could you identify this paragraph?  I can only find paragraphs
> that contradict this, e.g.:

Section 1.2, third paragraph:

   Although many URL schemes are named after protocols, this does not
   imply that the only way to access the URL's resource is via the named
   protocol.  Gateways, proxies, caches, and name resolution services
   might be used to access some resources, independent of the protocol
   of their origin, and the resolution of some URL may require the use
   of more than one protocol (e.g., both DNS and HTTP are typically used
   to access an "http" URL's resource when it can't be found in a local
   cache).

At one time it was fairly common to access http URLs through a mail gateway
and a telnet gateway at CERN.  It is still common to access most other URI
schemes through an http proxy.  These are retrieval actions and they are no
different than URN resolution and retrieval by proxy.

....Roy