Re: Excess URI schemes considered harmful

From: <hardie@equinix.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:47:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: connolly@w3.org (Dan Connolly)
Cc: michael@neonym.net (Michael Mealling), uri@w3.org
Dan writes:
> Hmm.. that seems easy to fix... and I suggest that
> the IETF community is getting a lot of value out of
> being able to contact the IETF at http://www.ietf.org/ .

Absolutely true.

> > There
> > is a policy built into the URN approval process that mandates that
> > if the IETF abandons or re-uses the 'ietf' URN namespace that it
> > is an _error_ on the part of the IETF.
> >
> > I.e. if the IETF were to change domain-names you'd just have to deal
> > with it.
>
> It's hard for me to imagine that the value of doing so would
> ever even approach the cost.

We've just moved some protocol element identifiers from .int to .arpa,
so it does happen.

More important, we may someday want to move from http://www.ietf.org/
to foo://ietf.org/ .  We'd feel like pretty silly folks right now if
we were tied to a gopher namespace, wouldn't we?

				regards,
					Ted Hardie