RE: Excess URI schemes considered harmful

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:56:45 -0400
To: Rob Lanphier <robla@real.com>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>, <harald.alvestrand@maxware.no>, "Dan Zigmond" <djz@corp.webtv.net>, "Rich Petke" <rpetke@wcom.net>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
At 11:34 AM 2001-09-25 , Rob Lanphier wrote:
>Please describe the *exact* encoding for the media type "text/plain" under
>this scheme.

[Contingent on IANA endorsement what Mark Baker gave us] to refer to _exactly_
what IANA had to say _today_ about the text/plain media type, I believe a
valid
reference could be spelled

<urn:tdb:20010925:http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/t
ext/plain>

For a reference which recovers what IANA had to say about that type
designation
as of when you use the reference, you could of course use simply

<<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/text/plain>http:
//www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/text/plain>

... and this might return no recovered value for the resource some day.

Al

>At 10:48 AM 9/25/01 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>>For alternate proposal [to the Eastlake proposal [1]], see Masinter's
>>'tdb' scheme.
>>
>><http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt>http
://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-00.txt

>>The information desired is provided by a namespaced reference to the
>>[sub-] type name where the namespace binds the usage to a dated version of
>>the IANA registry contents.
>>
>>The IANA Registry provides the defining instance of the name/definition
>>association for Internet Media Types.  A dated reference is needed to
>>create a fixed referend, as the registry is editable and may later bind
>>new definition to a pre-existing name string.
>>
>>The cturi: scheme capability is IMHO entirely handled within the
>>capabilities of the tdb: scheme as proposed by Masinter.  Not necessarily
>>to say the latter is perfect, but it is enough better so that the cturi:
>>proposal should not be revived unless thatDescribedBy dated reference to a
>>name as used in the IANA registry (of date certain) is somehow found not
>>to do the job.
>
>Please describe the *exact* encoding for the media type "text/plain" under
>this scheme.
>
>Thanks
>Rob
>

>[1]
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-cturi-02.txt>http://www.
ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-cturi-02.txt