Re: Excess URI schemes considered harmful

--On mandag, oktober 29, 2001 18:57:33 -0500 Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
wrote:

> One reason you need a mapping between Contentxt-Types and
> URIs is that one must be able to introduce new non-standard context types
> with all the benefit
> of URI machinery
>
> - Anyone can make a new one

In general, I regard this as a disadvantage, not an advantage.
A plethora of content-types produces labelled non-interoperability, not
communication.

> - Choice of schemes with different properties of identity, dereference,
> etc

Don't see how this relates to content-types.

>- Ability to talk about them for example wiht RDF and all other
> languages which use URIs.

I could see this as an argument. So far, the biggest one.