Re: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

> At 09:51 01/11/22 -0500, Mark Baker wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, "DAV:" is no legal URI reference either. RFC 2396
> > > explicitly forbids ':' in relative path's first segment...
> >
> >Darn, I thought I checked this.  I assume the reason for this is to
> >allow disambiguation between absolute and relative URI references.
> >But, "dav:" isn't a valid URI reference of any kind, so what if we
> ><holds-breath/> updated 2396 to allow ":" as the last character of
> >the relative path's first segment?  Would that break anything?
>
> In terms of specs, probably not. In terms of implementations,
> we would have to test quite a few to be able to claim that
> all (or a sufficiently large subset of) current implementations
> already process foo: relative.

Right.

And BTW, my proposed correction above was incorrect.  It should be that
rel_path should be able to end with a ":", not rel_segment.

Here's my "I'm not at all familiar with the intricacies of the BNF
production rules, but here goes anyway" attempt at patching it up;

rel_path      = ( rel_segment [ abs_path ] | rel_segment ":" )

MB