Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:22:11 -0500
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, "David G. Durand" <David_Durand@brown.edu>(by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>), uri@w3.org
At 04:27 AM 2001-11-18 , Martin Duerst wrote:

>However, it became also very much clearer to me (I already thought
>so implicitly before) that in a web context, centered on concepts
>and digital resources, where copying and moving things around is
>virtually instantaneous and extremely cheap, the distinction between
>names and locations is not necessary at all, and usually confuses
>more than it helps.

AG::  Excellent and thoughtful post as ususal.

On the other hand, the appearance that all this data speed means that the
transport lag can be ignored is not to be trusted.

As regards applications of the Web of Services that is coming over the hill at
us, there is no such thing as a negligible lag in accessing data.  There is a
BIG community doing BIG computations and they alone generate a large market
for
staging functionality to get the fixed-name data to the variable place
where it
is needed as an articulated separately managed step in the process.  This is a
large enough an endemic enough problem such that the Global Grid Forum is
forming a working group to address this issue in particular.

 <http://www.globalgridforum.org/groups/WG.html#RDA>http://www.globalgridfo
rum.org/groups/WG.html#RDA

Al