RE: Are URIs obsolete?

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:47:15 -0700
To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, <uri@w3.org>
Cc: "Leslie Daigle" <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
    urn:ietf:id:draft-masinter-url-i18n-07 (btw, it expires soon, how is
> a new draft going?) introduceses IRIs. Is it expectable, that IRIs
> replace URIs since they are completly covered by IRIs? I.e., will future
> (X)HTML, XML, HTTP, etc.pp. versions (if any) use IRIs and the term URI
> will only be used when talking about backward compatibility?

There are some minor edits, but more to the point, there was
a lengthy comment from Leslie Daigle  (I think it is W3C Member-only
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-uri-ig/2001Mar/0040.html
right now, unfortunately).

I don't think there's any chance that IRIs will "obsolete" URIs
in any meaningful sense, even if the IRI draft were to be approved
(which it has not been).

Larry