Re: Proper www usage

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:12:35 -0500
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
CC: Ian King <iking@microsoft.com>, Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, "Linda Bellitt (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>)" <linda.bellitt@hunterdouglas.com>, uri@w3.org
Mark Nottingham wrote:

> I find it good practice to redirect other hostnames' port 80 to
> www, rather than CNAME it, so that search engines, caches and the
> like don't have duplicates.

Yup.

That's what W3C does:

$ curl -I http://w3.org/
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:10:49 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_perl/1.23
Location: http://www.w3.org/
Connection: close

> I.e., instead of having foo.com and www.foo.com return the same
> resources, have all requests to foo.com redirected to the appropriate
> part of www.foo.com, to reduce duplication. This is easy to configure
> in most servers.

I was trying to help somebody set up some redirects on their
server a while back... they were using Microsoft IIS.
I looked for HTTP redirect configuration options
and couldn't find it.

Does IIS support HTTP redirects? Anybody know?