Re: Proper www usage

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:59:10 -0500
To: "Linda Bellitt (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>)" <linda.bellitt@hunterdouglas.com>, <uri@w3.org>
Linda Bellitt    (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>)
<linda.bellitt@hunterdouglas.com> wrote:

> Can you tell me what parameters make it okay to drop the www when entering
> a URI into a browser? Does it have to do with the browser and/or its level?
> Does it have to do with how domain names are registered? Any input would be
> most helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I assume the question is when it is OK to
enter an URI like:

http://w3.org/

as opposed to:

http://www.w3.org/

The answer is that this is based on the DNS records of the domain name. When
you register a domain name, you provide two (or more) DNS servers which are
used to lookup various machines on that domain (www.domain.com,
ftp.domain.com, etc.). The effect of dropping the "www" is dependent on the
DNS records that exist for that domain.