URI scheme abuse in webDAV

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:56:26 -0500
To: <uri@w3.org>
Sigh ... is this real?
I can't think of a better example of not getting the point.
It would rather have been better not to have used namespaces

The DAV spec really invents a totally new whole URI scheme just for a
namespace?
If there has to be a root of anything anywhere, then with whom will it be
safe?
The root of the URI space now become a freeforall along with
namespacelesstags
and RDF822 headers?

http://www.fileangel.org/docs/DAV_2min.html

says,
"LOCK Example

           <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
          <D:prop xmlns:D="DAV:">
            <D:lockdiscovery>
                 <D:activelock>
                      <D:locktype><D:write/></D:locktype>
                      <D:lockscope><D:exclusive/></D:lockscope>
  ..."

I hope I have misread or misunderstood ..

Tim