Re: comments on draft-eastlake-cturi-01.txt

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:16:30 +0000
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@Adobe.COM>, Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, uri@w3.org, Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, Michael Mealling <michaelm@netsol.com>, Ted Hardie <hardie@equinix.com>
At 09:25 PM 1/18/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Let's not pretend that a different URI scheme
>will somehow magically provide more stability
>than http/dns; stability depends on
>social practices, not just technology.

I agree.  In which case, it seems reasonable to use a form of URI whose
very form carries a clear signal of stable intent.  To my mind, that is the
big advantage of using a URN form.

I don't dispute that http: URLs are technically adequate for the purpose of
identification.  But that is a technology-led argument that seems to ignore
the social practices and expectations that surround them.

#g