Re: comments on draft-eastlake-cturi-01.txt

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:21:26 -0600
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
CC: <uri@w3.org>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Michael Mealling <michaelm@netsol.com>, Ted Hardie <hardie@equinix.com>
Larry Masinter <masinter@Adobe.COM> wrote:

> That you, Aaron Swartz, do not see the need to use anything
> other than "http://www.iana.org", which has sufficient
> stability for your own purposes, doesn't mean that it will
> meet the needs of everyone else.
>
> I suppose this argument will persist until we resolve
> the W3C/IETF split over the utility of URNs and their
> role in protocol element identification.

I hate to see this argument pointlessly persist, so I will stop arguing
after this question:

Why aren't my URLs safe? That is, why do I have to worry about an address at
iana.org suddenly disappearing one day? What needs are not met by this
system?

I use URLs for a lot of the work I do and I'm curious whether I'm making a
mistake.

Thanks,