Re: comments on draft-eastlake-cturi-01.txt

Hi,

From:  Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date:  Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:32:29 -0600
To:  Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, <uri@w3.org>,
            <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>
CC:  Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>,
            Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>,
            Michael Mealling <michaelm@netsol.com>,
            Ted Hardie <hardie@equinix.com>

>Larry Masinter <masinter@Adobe.COM> wrote:
>
>> However, for the case of content-types (which was the original
>> motivator), Don Eastlake wrote a draft
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-cturi-01.txt.
>
>Interesting draft, but I have a few questions:
>
>What's wrong with the current system of URI mapping:
>
>    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/

IANA is more or less in the process of moving from isi.edu to
iana.org, an illustration of the instability of domain names.

>especially:
>
>    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/

There is no guarantee of this structure remaining the same and I don't
see why one would think you could design a structure that would
encompass all current and future IANA supervised protocol parameter
values.  Using a domain name in a fundamental protocol parameter
encoding is basicly a bad idea except in some cases where the domain
name is in a part of the DNS name space specifically set aside for
that purpose.  Basicly unless it is under .arpa (or a few .*.int
second level domains that were allocated before it was decided to put
future parameter domains under .arpa).

>Also, what's the point of making URIs into content types? Where would this
>be used?

To express the types of objects that have only a URI type label
originally defined in MIME contexts such as SMTP where only
Content-Type is permitted.

>Thanks for clearing things up,
>
>--
>[ Aaron Swartz | me@aaronsw.com | http://www.aaronsw.com ]

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                    dee3@torque.pothole.com
 155 Beaver Streeet                         lde008@dma.isg.mot.com
 Milford, MA 01757 USA     +1 508-634-2066(h)   +1 508-261-5434(w)