Re: My 2c on scheme abuse

Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Mark Baker <mark.baker@canada.sun.com> wrote:
>
> > From what I've seen, a lot of folks are concerned about using the HTTP
> > scheme for namespaces because they don't want their web servers
> > overloaded.
>
> Why would their web servers be overloaded?

Didn't you hear, Aaron?  An HTTP URL has to be resolved before any
meaning can be associated with it.  8-)

The assumption may stem from the fact that validating XML parsers have
to run off to get the DTD to build the infoset.  Though that's a problem
with DTDs and not URLs, I've heard that given as a reason for not using
URLs as public ids.

MB