Re: theory and practice (Re: URIs for Physical Items)

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 10:34:55AM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> At 09:35 AM 10/27/00 -0400, it was written:
> I worry that some people see all that's come so far as a barrier to what
> they really want to do, without a whole lot of concern for what everyone
> else might want to do.  Top-down specification doesn't seem to be doing
> much to get developers excited and put URIs into the world.

Simon, I'm worried that your view is colored by not being aware of
how people are actually using URIs outside of XML based applications.
That list (plus others registered by the IANA) that Leslie posted
is a good example of URIs that are being widely used in places that
have no relationship to XML at all (or even web browsers for that matter).
Are you explicitly ignoring them or are you just not aware of them?

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com