Re: URIs for Physical Items

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 10:26:49PM -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
> Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com> wrote:
> > I would be very hesitant to use
> > it to identify physical objects but would use something like a URN or
> > a new URI scheme to do so
>
> Do you think this would be a worthwhile scheme to specify/propose? Something
> like <object:http://apple.com/ibook/> meaning iBook or
> <object:http://swartzfam.com/aaron/> meaning me.
>
> As opposed to <data:http://apple.com/ibook/> meaning the actual URL
> "http://apple.com/ibook/".

I wouldn't go about doing it that way. URIs identify, its best to use
them just for that. What you're doing here is coming up with a standard
identifier relationship grammar which is something that a few of us
have talked about before.
See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2000Sep/0020.html
for some rather lucid ideas from Dan LaLiberte on the subject.

> How does one go about proposing such URI schemes? I don't seem to see
> anything about it in RFC 2396.

RFC 2717 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2717.txt)

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael