Re: URI schemes vs. URN namespaces

Howdy,

Ray Denenberg wrote:
> namespace. My question was, on what basis do they make that decision; is it
> completely arbitrary?  I gather (from your message) that you don't necessarily
> think it's completely arbitrary, that there will be characteristics of a scheme
> that will help guide that determination, for example handle has a complete
> resolution protocol which would argue for a URI scheme while a less
> well-developed system might want to avail itself of some of the URN resolution
> infrastructure, which would argue for a URN namespace.  Is this on the right
> track?

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

I would perhaps phrase it slightly differently -- organizations which
don't need to develop end-to-end protocols can leverage the
URN infrastructure, etc.

> This is helpful (if it's accurate) but I think this sort of discussion
> needs to be formally documented and some guidelines developed.

In principle, yes; in practice -- I don't believe we have enough
practice to yet to be very detailed or firm in guidelines.

Leslie.

"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
leslie@thinkingcat.com