RE: IURI questions

At 12:37 00/03/01 +0800, Benedict Wee Tee Wei wrote:

> Since you ask about chinese language domain names,
> I thought you might be interested in
> (but most on this list may have known already ?):
>
> http://www.idns.org
> http://www.idns.org/ietf
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-oscarsson-i18ndns-00.txt

Better even:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idn-charter.html

> which are ietf related initiatives to get
> i18n-domain names standardised.
>
> Am I right to infer that the W3C work here at the Interest Group
> sits on top of the idns layer and therefore
> is very much dependent on the ietf effort moving forward ?

This mailing list is hosted by the W3C (because the older host had
to give up and because of course the Web needs URIs). However,
there is currently no formal W3C URI or Addressing Activity nor
a formal W3C Interest Group for URIs.

Also, IURIs don't sit on top of idns. Ideally, they will be
closely coordinated, but there other examples (see e.g.
IMAP URIs,  RFC 2192) where for various reasons, the URI
encoding of non-ASCII characters and the encoding in the
actual protocol are different.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org