RE: IURI questions

At/À 09:47 2000-02-29 -0600, Rogers, Paul you wrote/vous avez écrit:
>I realize my questions probably border on the moronic, but I'm just trying
>to understand how browsers/user agents and servers are handling the
>following:
>
>* multibyte character domain names (are all hostnames currently
>ASCII/Latin1, or are there, say, chinese language domain names).  I'm
>guessing the answer is "of course NOT, stupid, that's the reason for the
>IURI proposal," but I just want to double-check...8?)

there is an IETF working group working on i18n domain names.
look at: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idn-charter.html
current discussions is on requirements.
Larry Masinter is pushing a discussion right now on the ietf idn mailing
list about synchronizing requirements of iuri and idn.

Marc.
co-chair of ietf idn wg.

>* hex-encoded characters in URLs.  I just tried surfing to
>www.%79%61%68%6f%6f.com, and on IE5, it takes me to www.yahoo.com, but
>Netscape Navigator 4.6 can't find the server.
>
>Probably what I should do is just browse around the respective browser docs;
>I was just hoping folks on this list had been through this...
>--- Paul

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.