RE: IURI questions

I realize my questions probably border on the moronic, but I'm just trying
to understand how browsers/user agents and servers are handling the
following:

* multibyte character domain names (are all hostnames currently
ASCII/Latin1, or are there, say, chinese language domain names).  I'm
guessing the answer is "of course NOT, stupid, that's the reason for the
IURI proposal," but I just want to double-check...8?)

* hex-encoded characters in URLs.  I just tried surfing to
www.%79%61%68%6f%6f.com, and on IE5, it takes me to www.yahoo.com, but
Netscape Navigator 4.6 can't find the server.

Probably what I should do is just browse around the respective browser docs;
I was just hoping folks on this list had been through this...
--- Paul