RE: IURI questions

While we await the results of that review, I have the following questions
(apologies in advance if these are overly naive):

* What do folks do now in terms of generating/processing an IURI-like
string?

* Related to above, is there a de facto standard right now

* (the real point of my queries)  To what extent is the Unicode
normalization occurring.

I'm trying to determine how hard to work to obtain normalization code in
order to satisfy step 2 of section 2.2 of the IURI draft...?

Thanks for any/all responses.

--- Paul