Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-url-literal-03.txt

Some comments:

- Preferred format: It should be explained what exactly this means.
  Usually, there is no need for more than one format.

- "It defines a syntax for IPv6
   addresses and allows the use of "[" within a URI explicitly for this
   reserved purpose."
  I guess ']' should be mentioned here, too.

- [] are moved to reserved. Does this mean that in other parts
  of the URI (reference), they can also be used that way?
  There are proposals to use [] e.g. in the fragment identifier
  syntax for XML http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xptr. There may be
  several legacy issues here.

Regards,   Martin.

At 08:24 99/09/20 PDT, Larry Masinter wrote:
> This is the latest compromise within the IPNG working group
> (which defined the syntax for IPv6 addresses) and the attempt
> to embed IPv6 addresses within URLs. Note that it proposes
> amending the URI draft standard to allow "[]" in a URL for the
> reserved purpose of enclosing an IPv6 URL.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org