RE: Command line for news?

At 08:06 PM 11/5/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Al,
>Do you have the URL to the obsolete I-D which describes how to put the
>username/password in a "news" URL?  If no URL, could you please just give me
>a sample URL which shows the correct syntax?

Allow me to repeat the URL I gave in the message you replied to:

 <http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/uri/news/draft-gilman-news-url-02.txt>

The syntax is merely inherited from the generic URI syntax Proposed
Standard i.e.

It reads like what in RFC 1738 was called the nntp: URL scheme with only
the change
of nntp: to news: because the two cases are distinguishable already without
giving them separate names.

The association of a password with that username is a function of the node,
not the newsgroup.  So the form including authentication information
involves saying at what node the authentication is done.

HOWEVER, the client software should take a news: URL without the username
and password, pass it off to the NNTP client module and when the NNTP
server says that authorization is required, the client should then present
the user with a dialog for entering this.  The communication with the
remote server will be in NNTP, not in URI.

If the clients in use on your intranet will do this, that is the better way
to go.  You may even find that the OS has a friendly authentication
information safe that will remember this for you in a safer way than
leaving it lying around in URLs in web pages.

>Note, the Newsgroup is in a Intranet, so security is not an issue...

I don't want to get into a discussion of why this does not follow.

Al