Re: [URN] URI documents -- "# fragment" (2)

"Sam X. Sun" <ssun@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> wrote:
>[...]
>The way current URI parser cuts off '#fragment' regardless of the
>URI scheme makes it not very user friendly, because if user A
>has his userid or password containing '#' character, he will have to
>use '%22' when he reach his ftp server from web browser, even
>though '#fragment' doesn't make sense in 'ftp' URL. Similar issue
>holds true for 'telnet', 'mailto', as well. Another example is when we
>are working with publishers, there are existing naming schemes,
>like SICI, uses '#' extensively, and it's just not very practical to
>enforce every SICI names to be hex encoded.

	That's incorrect, which you can verify with any deployed
browser.  Try these two URL-references:

http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/lynx2-7-2/lynx_help/lynx_url_support.html#cso
ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/release/lynx2-7-2/lynx_help/lynx_url_support.html#cso

which will get you the same document via http versus ftp, and in both
cases have it positioned via the #cso fragment instruction to your
browser.  And if your browser were not to split off the #cso for the
ftp request, it would fail.

	In the case of an ftp URL which has authinfo with a userid or
password that includes a '#', the browsers will unescape the %22 before
sending it to the ftp server.

				Fote