Re: URI documents

Michael Mealling (michael@bailey.dscga.com)
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 12:39:58 -0500 (EST)

From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Subject: Re: URI documents
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 12:39:58 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leslie@bunyip.com, fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu, jcurran@bbn.com,

Larry Masinter said this:
> Between:
>
> a) Roy's last URL syntax draft what we did a last call on.
> b) Roy's attempt to turn this into a URI document, at (I believe
>    the original suggestion of the area directors) by doing
>    a global substitute
> c) Leslie's attempt to split (b) into a URI and a URL document
> d) Larry's attempt to create a single document which discusses
>     URIs and URLs.
>    (ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/uri-url-syntax.txt)
>
> We have heard from a few folks, but not a lot. To recap:

Larry reminded me that I didn't answer this question before I started
blabbing my opinions. I'm an advocate of (c). I'd like to see
it re-worded in order to reflect Larry's later suggestion of
URIs being a concept rather than something defined by a protocol slot.

-MM

Michael Mealling	| 505 Huntmar Park Drive       | Phone:  (703)742-0400
Software Engineer	| Herndon, VA 22070	       | Fax:    (703)742-9552
Network Solutions	| <URL:http://www.netsol.com>  | michaelm@rwhois.net