Re: FYI, AAP DEVELOPS DIGITAL I.D. SYSTEM FOR PUBLICATIONS

Archie (warnock@home.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:59:03 -0500

From: "Archie" <warnock@home.com>
To: "Sam Sun" <ssun@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, "John C. Mallery" <jcma@ai.mit.edu>
Cc: <urn-ietf@Bunyip.Com>, <uri@Bunyip.Com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:59:03 -0500
Subject: Re: FYI, AAP DEVELOPS DIGITAL I.D. SYSTEM FOR PUBLICATIONS

>The DOI namespace, a sub-namespace of Handle System name space, _is_
>heirarchical.  In terms of DOI, this hierarchy is reflected in the DOI
>"Prefix", and the way it is assigned or used. The DOI "Prefix" is
equivalent

Thanks.  That clears up one issue.

>define its own sub-namespace, and so on. (It is worth noting that although
>the namespace is heirarchical, the resolution protocol is not, so as to
>achieve minimum number of round trips, and to ensure global uniqueness.)

So, what happens to name resolution times when we get something like 10**N
(pick your favorite stressful value of N) documents in the system?

Archie

-- Archie Warnock                           Internet:  warnock@clark.net
-- A/WWW Enterprises                        Phone/FAX: 301-854-2987
--         http://www.clark.net/pub/warnock/awww.html
--       As a matter of fact, I _do_ speak for my employer.