Re: FYI, AAP DEVELOPS DIGITAL I.D. SYSTEM FOR PUBLICATIONS

Archie (warnock@home.com)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:01:39 -0500

From: "Archie" <warnock@home.com>
To: "John C. Mallery" <jcma@ai.mit.edu>
Cc: <urn-ietf@Bunyip.Com>, <uri@Bunyip.Com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:01:39 -0500
Subject: Re: FYI, AAP DEVELOPS DIGITAL I.D. SYSTEM FOR PUBLICATIONS

>AAP DEVELOPS DIGITAL I.D. SYSTEM FOR PUBLICATIONS
>The Association of American Publishers, in conjunction with the Corporation
>for National Research Initiatives, has developed an electronic
>identification system for materials on the Internet.  The digital object

Very interesting.  From checking out the site at doi.org, it appears they're
using the Handle system.  A friend of mine and I were speculating on what
happens when there are something like 10**14 documents registered.  Doesn't
it seem like a hierarchical system would do the job more efficiently here?
Or is there such an architecture now behind the handles?

Archie

-- Archie Warnock                           Internet:  warnock@clark.net
-- A/WWW Enterprises                        Phone/FAX: 301-854-2987
--         http://www.clark.net/pub/warnock/awww.html
--       As a matter of fact, I _do_ speak for my employer.