Re: development track for "where-it-says" [patented?]

Al Gilman wrote:

> To do a little forward thinking, and follow up on what Larry Masinter said:
>
> > The "#fragment" notation is only used for named components.
> >

> Makes a lot of sense to me.
>
> My initial stab at syntax for "where-it-says" was a
> searchpart along the lines of ...?find="string-to-match" .

Would you please research the www-talk archives or whatever
to find the earliest dicussion of this technique that you can
find? I have recently
been informed that there is a patent application[1] out
on this idea. I'm appalled that Nielsen would claim
credit for this idea, which has been kicked around on
public mailing lists for years.

Yikes! Issued Aug 19 1997?

[1] 659729 : Method and system for
implementing hypertext scroll attributes
INVENTORS: Nielsen; Jakob, Atherton, CA
ASSIGNEES: Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mountain View, CA
ISSUED: Aug. 19, 1997
FILED: Feb. 1 , 1996
http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/details?patent_number=5659729

--
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/