Re: The UR* scheme registry, Citing URL/URI specs

At 05:08 PM 10/24/97 PDT, Tim Bray wrote:
>I think this qualifies as breakage as a direct result of using URI
>rather than URL, but then I'm simple-minded.

I can be even more simple minded than you.

Is any operation defined on URIs in XML beyond string comparison for
equality?  If not, it does not matter what URI scheme is used (url, urn,
whatever) so long as no two incompatible identifiers have the same URI.

Forgive my ignorance, but were you expecting to fetch a DTD by resolving
the URI?  If so, then if you get a URI your program can't follow, then you
can't validate the XML.  But does anything else bad happen?  I don't think
so.  Can't you just ignore the tags you don't understand?

If I've become too simple, I beg your forgiveness.

Jim

http://www.parc.xerox.com/jdavis/
650-812-4301