Re: URL generic syntax draft to last call?

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:47:43 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:47:43 PDT
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
CC: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>, IETF URI list <uri@bunyip.com>
Subject: Re: URL generic syntax draft to last call?

> I definitely agree that we have made a lot of progress.
> However, because there have been several cases where people on
> the list, including myself, have had different impressions about
> the nature and degree of consensus achieved, which has led to
> some very unfortunate message exchanges, it would be very
> helpful if you could:
>
> - Shortly state what, in your oppinion, has been resolved
>         (and what may not yet have been resolved).

I don't think the latest draft will please everyone, but I think
that by toning down the explanation that "URLs are limited to ASCII",
pointing out that the definition of non-ASCII URLs is handled
outside of this document, and starting on the process of actually
resolving how non-ASCII URLs can be made to work, we've dealt with
the requirements of starting the work on Internationalization and
leaving enough space to come to a resolution on the issues.

> - Explain how you intend this to be reflected (or not) in
>         the URL generic syntax draft.

Please review the latest I-D submission.