Re: Location independence?

Daniel LaLiberte (liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 02:11:01 -0600 (CST)

From: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 02:11:01 -0600 (CST)
To: touch@isi.edu
Cc: liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re:  Location independence?

touch@isi.edu writes:
 > IP numbers are not looked up. That's the point.
 > That's why they're "locations", rather than "names".

IP numbers are looked up in router tables.

Curiously, many people associate looking something up with it being a
location rather than a name.  The thing you look up is *located* in a
table or data structure of some kind.

 > > ... As a
 > > matter of fact, you can look up IP numbers in a special branch of DNS.
 >
 > That's used for reverse-lookups, a somewhat superfluous function
 > of the DNS. That lookup is not needed to use the IP address.

I understand.  I only point this out to further blur what many people
think of as the obvious distinction between names and locations.

dan